Sunday, December 1, 2013

Our Thanksgiving Feast

For those of you who do not know, I have started Thai lessons. I meet with my teacher every Monday from 1:00-3:00 pm. I had my first lesson last Monday and have been studying my papers since. I have to admit that the tones they use in their language confuse me and I need to have a review with my teacher again, but he is a patient and pleasant young man. Besides, he has a pretty "old" dog he is trying to teach some new tricks too.

After spending last Saturday morning with my friends from Bethany Children's home, the kids and I did some English lessons for about an hour. I have been able to find several books for them that have English words, phrases and sentences along with Thai. This way they are able to follow along with me and read the words/sentences in Thai which makes it easier for them to learn English. It is quite difficult when they have no understanding of what I am trying to say, so we made good progress that afternoon. Yesterday afternoon, they were making Christmas cards and I saw them using their books to find the words they wanted to write on the cards. They did it all on their own and only asked me to "review" them once they had written the words. We do English lessons on a regular basis.

After the lessons it was time to decide what was for dinner. We sat at the table tossing a few ideas around and decided we wanted to do a Bar-B-Que. So off to the market Mauruethai and Care went to get the food for our dinner. When they arrived home, they had large shrimp, crab, squid, pork meatballs, pork, yellow bean squares, mushrooms, and vegetables. Once they dropped these items off, they took off once again. While they were gone, the kids were moving all of the furniture from the front room into the "pantry" area. Needless to say, Max and I were a bit confused and wondered why they were doing this. They put both of our mats by the front door and we waited.

Care and Mauruethai arrived a short while later with the bar-b-que, the wood, the grate to cook things on and this other strange looking contraption. Mauruethai set about trying to light the fire in the bar-b-que which was right inside the front door which explained the moved furniture. Once the fire stared, Max and I strategically placed several fans so the smoke would be blown out and not inside the house. Windows upstairs were open and we were in business. The fire was started and the feast commenced. First came the shrimp and then the squid. These were cooked first because they needed the grate. I soon learned that all the other food would be cooked in the other contraption...

Lighting the fire


Cooking the shrimp

Yummy shrimp

The yellow bean squares, pork meatballs, squid and veggies
















After we feasted on the huge shrimp and squid, the contraption was set on top and the pork was laid across the round part. The yellow bean squares, pork meatballs, mushrooms, vegetables and oh I forgot, glass noodles were put all around the edge which was raised and water was added. We had our own little cooker and boiler all in one. I cannot believe all the food we ate.

The "contraption"

Cooking the pork, meatballs, crab, veggies and bean squares

We all sat on the floor enjoying the food, the Pepsi and each other's company. It was simply one of the best nights we have had here. I had originally thought we would be ordering food from a restaurant but this was oh so much better. Even though we didn't celebrate Thanksgiving here at the home, we gave thanks for the blessing of the children. Mauruethai, our friend Max and the family we have become.

A toast

Our family

It was an amazing night. One that is difficult to adequately describe with words. You simply needed to be here to experience the joy of the evening. I hope I have shared just a little and you enjoy the pictures.

Till next time......

God Bless!

Heather




1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather, what a wonderful feast! Looks and sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete

5 Year Anniversary and Still Going Strong!!!

Good morning~ I woke up this morning and realized that five years ago today, I began the first leg of a journey that would forever change ...