Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Volunteers

The two young ladies who are working with me at Promise Home arrived last Monday, June 9th. They had taken an amazing flight from the United States to China and then on to Bangkok. After their arrival, they spent several hours in the Bangkok airport trying to get some rest before their early morning flight to Chiang Rai. We picked them up at 9:30 on the 9th and I must say, I was officially stunned and amazed at the lack of luggage. Two girls staying for almost two months and all each of them had were very full backpacks and a carry on bag. My nieces who stayed for two weeks had larger suitcases, however they did take home many souvenirs. Perhaps the other girls don't plan to do that but how can they resist????????

(L-R) Sylvia and Madi in their room

Madi's things 

Sylvia's things

































Sylvia Wilson- Sylvia is a 21 year old college senior at the University of Colorado Denver Campus. She is majoring International Business with a minor is Sustainability. She is using her time here in Chiang Rai and Promise Home as a summer Internship. She will help me with the book keeping and tracking finances for the home as well as working on updating the Charities Within Reach website.

Madi Fuhrman- Madi is also a 21 year college senior. She attends the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley. She is majoring in acting and she teaches Yoga.

Both girls will be helping with different projects in and around the home. In addition to that, they will help the children with their English and their Math skills. Big has created a schedule for 45 minutes each night of the children to learn new skills. He intends to take full advantage of the three of us while we are here.

In addition to teaching the children at Promise Home, the neighbors and people who attend Bible Study with Big have asked us to help them with their English too. So I am anticipating a large number of Thai's who wish to learn some basic English from us.

The girls are already a big hit with the kids. They have become the newest members of the family and the kids adore them. They are welcomed to the home as joyfully as I am. As a matter of fact, I have faded to the background a little and seem like an after thought. :)

We have had some wonderful times with everyone already and it will be a great summer with the two of them here to help out and be with the kids. So, enjoy some pictures of our time so far and look for many more to come.

Till next time.....

God Bless,
Heather


Enjoying their first Korean BB-Que

So full....... 

Sylvia on the old slide

Swinging 

Football

Sylvia against Tin... who will win

Madi and her team ready to start the attack 

Another breakout 

Madi and Sylvia relaxing after a warm, humid football game


1 comment:

  1. OMG I want Korean BBQ.. I'm on my way. I'll keep away from that turning slide however, I don't think that I trust that much.

    ReplyDelete

5 Year Anniversary and Still Going Strong!!!

Good morning~ I woke up this morning and realized that five years ago today, I began the first leg of a journey that would forever change ...