Saturday, October 12, 2013

Challenges

With the introduction of the table and two sofas, I am faced with several new challenges with the boys here at the home. While I understand they have been allowed to run free and wild and do pretty much anything they want, it is time to instill some basic manners and behavior expectations.

Challenge #1-The Dinner Table. The two boys eat like every meal is their last.. I am sure when they lived in the village they were forced to eat as much as they could as fast as they could before it all disappeared and that is a strong inclination to break. They have the tiniest mouths of all sitting at the table, yet they stuff the most food into them. Both will fill their spoons so full of rice that they can barely get it all in their mouths, but they do. Then before that mouthful is finished, they stuff more in. They stuff and stuff until they can barely hold anymore then take a drink of water and 9 times out of 10, they choke. I started with the older boy and I noticed today that all I need to do is look at him for a period of time while he is eating and he will stop stuffing and begin to eat more reasonable bites. This afternoon at lunch, I was watching the youngest one stuff his tiny little mouth full of food when his brother noticed me watching him. The brother stepped in and told the youngest to stop eating like he was and it worked for a few moments at least. Will continue to work on this.

They also eat out of their bowls while they are sitting on the table much like a dog or cat would eat out of their dishes. I look up to see them bent over their bowls, scrapping the last little bit of meat or rice into their mouths that are perched on the edge of their bowls. They slurp their soup as well but I can only work on one habit at a time. They are getting better using manners and saying please and thank you when they ask for something but I do have to remind them several times a day. The oldest of the two boys will sit at the table with his mouth stuffed completely full of food pointing at whatever food he wants more of instead of asking. I simply look at him until he says please or makes an effort to ask. It is a battle of wills but I am confident that I will prevail.

Challenge #2- The Sofas. The boys think the two sofa's are in home jungle gyms and I find myself constantly telling them to stop jumping and climbing on them. They will run from across the room and jump in the middle of the sofa. They also sit and them jump up and down on them. The youngest will climb on the back and lay on the back of the sofa. I find myself saying Mai Dai which means no cannot  several times a day. Again, it is a battle of wills which I know I will win.

Challenge #3- Basic Hygiene. Washing with soap and water instead of just water is a habit that is completely foreign to them. I am sure they never washed when they lived in the village. Soap was a luxury I am sure they didn't have. They do take a bath every night and use soap and shampoo but they don't wash after using the bathroom and will often come to the table directly after using the bathroom. I keep my disgust to myself and gently prod them back to the bathroom to wash with soap and water every time.

The girls understand these things and they do not need to be reminded. They recognize when I want the boys to do something or not to do something and will speak up in Thai so the boys know what I want. They may not understand all my words but they do understand my tone and my message. They then convey that to the boys who will shape up temporarily.

For those who know me, I am sure certain affectionate endearments come to mind when you think of how I am about manners, eating habits and cleanliness. I will let the others think of their own description of me... :)

One step at a time and small steps at that.

Till next time.....

God Bless,

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Heather - I'm truly sorry for saying this, but knowing you and hearing this story makes me giggle. These boys have no idea they are living with the queen. I feel like I am right in the house with you watching the antics of the children. I'm sure you will have them in shape in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check these sites before getting too carried away in Americanizing the boys:

    http://highheelgourmet.com/tag/table-manners-thai/
    http://www.slideshare.net/tim3flies/thai-table-manners
    http://www.etiquettescholar.com/dining_etiquette/table-etiquette/pacific_dinner_etiquette/thai.html

    Understand your intentions, but make change in little increments.

    All our love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I thought you went across the world to not have to teach children lessons.. Oh, wait yours are actually children so this is fully acceptable. I will continue on with your past duties. Love and miss you very much. Please be safe and have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete

5 Year Anniversary and Still Going Strong!!!

Good morning~ I woke up this morning and realized that five years ago today, I began the first leg of a journey that would forever change ...