Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Earthquake

This isn't the first blog that I wanted to publish but it is the biggest story of my time here so far.

Yesterday evening, May 5, 2014 at 6:00 GMT +7 there was a 6.0 magnitude earthquake. The epicenter was located in the Phan district which is approximately 16 miles south of Chiang Rai where I am. It was a shallow quake, about 7.4 kilometers from the surface.

I was at the movies with a friend on the fourth floor of a shopping mall when everything started violently shaking and swaying back and forth. We exited the theater and there was a wonderful young man who was also at the movie who took it upon himself to ensure that we got out ok. He went as far as to take my hand and lead my friend and I to the exit and make sure we were fine and on our way out before he left go. When we got outside, we were able to find him again and thanked him profusely for taking such good care of us. There was no panic, no pushing and shoving. Just an orderly exit out the door and down several flights of stairs.

I contacted the kids at home and learned they were all ok and there was only minor damage to some roofing tiles that fell off. No cracks in the walls or anything broken. They were all ok. After dinner we turned in for the night but at least for me, sleep was not in the plans. I had a very restless night because of the after shocks. The news reported there were more than 100 after shocks ranging in magnitude of slightly below 3.0 to 5.2. The 5.2 shock was the morning and it shook so hard, I ran down the stairs and quickly exited the house in my pajama's. Those of us not used to events such as this were on edge for most of the day. We did not experience any additional after shocks after the large one early this morning.

I read reports this evening that one person died and more than 20 were injured because of the quake. The death and injuries occurred in the Mae Lao district which is between Chiang Rai and the Phan district. One of the major treasures here in Chiang Rai, the White Temple was damaged but the extent has not been released.

I am hoping for a quiet night so I can rest as I am exhausted after not sleeping well at all. I am grateful for God's protection over all of us here in Chiang Rai. The children and all of my friends are safe tonight because of his grace.

Until next time…..

God Bless,

Heather





1 comment:

  1. HOLY COW~very scary. I'm so glad you and everyone else are okay. This is the kind of excitement we can all live without!

    ReplyDelete

5 Year Anniversary and Still Going Strong!!!

Good morning~ I woke up this morning and realized that five years ago today, I began the first leg of a journey that would forever change ...